Saturday, October 5, 2013

Blog Every Day. Or try to at least...

I am taking my lead from Miss Mandy Hale, writer of the blog The Single Woman, and I am choosing to make the attempt to blog every day for the month of October and celebrate being a single woman. She gives us topics to write about and since I am a few days behind in the adventure, I'm going to do the first few in just one entry.

1. My response to everyone when they ask "And why are YOU still single?"

Honestly. They follow it up with "you're just so pretty" or "you're such an amazing woman, how have you not found somebody yet?" But that's just it. Who cares how pretty you perceive me to be.

A. I'm working on feeling the same about myself. Do I know I'm pretty? Yes. I can see why others would see that in me. And sure, I see it in myself most of the time. However, I have insecurities just as much as the next woman. I feel that what it can ultimately can come down to is my need to feel better about myself MORE of the time.
B. How have I not found somebody. Let's look at just the semantics of that statement. I have not found somebody. This means that, quite honestly, there has yet to come a man who has been so good and right (notice I don't say perfect. Because, let's be honest, nobody's perfect) for me that I feel is worth being with. At least not long enough to say my single life is officially over and I'm ready to remain in said committed relationship. Though that's not to say I haven't thought I have, or maybe I made the decision to move on instead of giving it more of a try.

So yes, I am STILL single. No ex husbands, no babies, no really great and magical relationships to really speak of. Not yet. I've not given up hope. I'm just sorting through my own needs still and, to be frank, what business is it of yours to ask me such questions. Just because I have family members and friends doing the family gig right now, at my age, it does not mean I was even meant for that path. I truly believe I was meant to do more than be a mommy and wife. I'm not ready for those roles yet. Being single is truly suiting me more than I thought it would.

2.When being single really sucked....

Ahh.... Miss Hale... she has asked a great question. Being single can suck on any given day when someone makes an attempt to belittle my life choices by choosing to insult the fact that I haven't "settled down" yet. But moreso than that, being single sucked the most one night when I was with a couple of my girlfriends and they spent the entire night talking about their boyfriends and their lives living with them. I began to feel jealous that I didn't have that comfort and security of having a man around me. I hated that I knew that after dinner that night, I would go home to a cold and empty home, and they would have men waiting for them with open arms to snuggle into while they slept.

But let's be honest about a few of those points.
1. I allowed those people to take that power from me. I gave them the power to make me feel insignificant due to the fact that I live my life and go through my journey of life alone. It's within me to keep them from taking my joy and sense of independence away. The term "settle down" says it just right. If I had stuck it out with any of my past relationships, it would have just been settling. It would have also been "down," which is to say, I can get better, and I deserve better. I don't want to "settle down" with a man. I want a man to join me in my journey, not ground me from it.
2. I wanted a man to make me feel safe and comfortable? Why can't I feel those things alone? Who's to say a woman can't be strong enough and secure enough in herself to be able to go home alone and be happy about it? Yes. I am happy that I can hold my own. I'm excited to tell people that they can try to hurt me. Shoot, they can even make me bleed, break me down until I cry, but wounds heal and tears will dry. I will not be vulnerable in the same way twice. Being alone and having to endure any sort of struggle alone teaches you to be stronger, and just because society says a woman must be with a man to be complete, it doesn't mean society is right. I'm so much better and far more complete now than I would be if I had "settled down" and accepted a relationship just to feel comfort and security.

3. When being single was really awesome...

Gosh. Every day. I rely on myself. I challenge myself to be happy and trusting, independent and loving, and just to be okay without a significant other.

One specific day was Valentine's Day this year. I showed up an hour late for work. As a server, that is the second worst day EVER to be late. (First being Mother's Day.) I misread my schedule and showed up late. To my disadvantage, my manager had to be quick on his feet. A coworker was looking to stay into the night shift and my section was given to him. BUT!! One girl was talking about wanting the night off so she could spend it with her man. Thank the Lord. I had made an hour drive through traffic, heard I might have done so for nothing, but then found a way to stay at work and make some money! So, my friend took off and I got to work her section. I was so excited to work that night because I knew, being a server at our specific restaurant, you make good money most nights anyway, but a busy holiday meant that we'd be busy later and, odds are, I'd make good money. Not only did I make great money at work that night, but I got to help out a friend who really wanted to be with the man she loves (they are now engaged). I also got to really make the holiday special for a few couples who were extremely grateful to me. A few left friendly notes on their credit slips, and some just left me fat tips...I guess assuming I was sacrificing the holiday to be at work.

4. My biggest fear as a single person....

Of course my biggest fear is not finding love. Or rather, finding it too late in life.

At the moment, I don't want a family just yet. I'm still deciding if I even want the adventure of pregnancy and birth.... when there are plenty of children out there who need mothers. While I could worry that I end up wanting a baby but don't have the man to raise it with, I also just figure, I've made it THIS far alone, might as well keep on truckin!! I don't rule out being a single mother by choice. With the incredible support I have in my family and friends, I know it would be possible. Difficult, yes. But very certainly possible.

Still, I fear wanting love and never finding it. Or, maybe settling because I assume there's nobody left to find. What if the man I'm meant for has already settled himself? What if I walked away from him already because I was too immature, insecure, or just not ready, but that was my only shot?

I have so many "what ifs" about finding a man, when I should be celebrating my life as a single woman. The world is at my feet. I have no attachments to hold me down and keep me from achieving my other dreams and meeting some amazing people that I may not meet if I were grounded with marriage and a family.

5. The biggest misconception people have about single life....

That's is so incredibly sad and all we do is look for ways to meet "The One."

Yes, I have my days when I get lonely. But the single life itself is not lonely. I have connected and reconnected with many friends due to being single. I have met amazing people that uplift me every day just by reminding me that just because I'm not with a man doesn't me I'm not worth finding the right one. Someday.

Other people assume that it's because there's something wrong with us.

No. There's nothing wrong with a person, just because he or she is not with somebody. I look at the woman who's idea this was. Mandy Hale. If you check out her story, read her blog, and just spend some time getting to know who she is (as much as you can via her social media outlets), you'll find that there is really nothing wrong with her. She is happily single, after years of tormenting herself with the wrong guys. We make silly mistakes when it comes to relationships, but we learn from them. She has not only learned from her mistakes, but she is also teaching others about them as well. One who chooses to use her own life experience to teach others a way to feel better about life and who he or she is to become, that is truly an amazing person. Quite honestly, ever since I discovered her blog a couple of years back, I've looked up to her. She inspires me daily.

Single people are amazing people.

No comments:

Post a Comment